Monopoli - Monuments and history
Castle Charles V
The castle is cinquentesco a fort built during the Spanish rule. The fort was completed in 1552 and its construction was strongly desired by Charles V in person, with a view of the system of coastal fortifications Puglia. It was built on a small promontory (Punta said Fin.) In the first half of the nineteenth century the castle became a district prison until 1969. Later abandoned, is now being used (after a complete restoration and consolidamendo) as the venue for hosting major cultural events such as exhibitions of painting, photography and film.
The simple plan of the castle is enriched with pentagonal bastions that rise to the five vertices. The drawbridge (and therefore the input source) had to be found to the south-west where stands a cylindrical tower built in following up a small ramp.
Different are elements of artistic and historic interest of the building, such as "The cave church of San Nicola de Pinna," the big armory characterized by four gunboats on the water, is also superimposed on the other walls surrounding the Old Town.
Abbey St. Stephen
One of the many pleasures that you can enjoy here is definitely dive in the beautiful waters of Monopoly and admire the Abbey of Santo Stefano. All this is possible at the beach "Porto Icicle", located about 4 km from the city center. The Castle of Saint Stephen, located on the sea, outside the city walls, throughout the Middle Ages constituted an essential part of the complex and the defensive system of the city.
Vittorio Emanueles square
Among the biggest of Puglia and Italy , born in 1796 thanks to the approval of the King of Naples , was built following a design by royal architect De Simone : design, orthogonal mesh , straight roads and cross perpendicular is functional and neglects quite the beautiful traditional rule , in vogue at the time. In 1872 the square was rearranged by the architect Losavio that abandoned the idea of the Renaissance square , opted for the more affordable but also more modern Square Garden . And divided them into two rectangles lined and enriched with new urban values . If the trees had to wait until 1893 , it was not possible to immediately open , in the middle of the two rectangles , the main road that leads from the east in Largo Plebiscito, while the other side is extended to form a sort of decumano the entire system to chessboard of the city. The war memorial is located in the south rectangle , by the sculptor Edward Simon of Brindisi , who erected it in 1828 , faithful to the nineteenth-century statuary and style of oratory Bistolfi of Sartorio or the other artists in fashion at the time. The monument is the only one in Italy to be raised not for the heroes , but the excruciating pain of the relatives , represented with outstanding performance on the monument . In 1848 the square became the center of a conspiracy against the Bourbons : the liberals of Monopoli became promoters of a meeting of friends of freedom. On the morning of May 18, the village welcomed the participants conspirators because the two current wait- and reactionary not they agreed , the conspiracy failed and the conspirators were sentenced to very hard years in prison. A plaque commemorates the place where you met , on the corner of via Giuseppe Polignani . In the Fascist era was built a fountain, then destroyed after the end of the regime , a few months ago was inaugurated the new fountain and along with it has been renovated in the paving of the entire square .